DATA FORUMS

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 1546 times)

Keaton

• Keaton Claassen
    • View Profile
Windows 10
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »

Has anyone else tried out the Windows 10 Technical Preview? What are your thoughts on it? I put it on a vm the other day and have been dabbling on it a bit. So far I have been liking it. I really feel that it's a nice combination of 7 and 8 but they still have a bit of a way to go before they release it.

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition." - Steve Jobs

Dustin101

• Veteran Tech.
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 02:35:43 PM »

I think Windows 10 is alright. It has a long way to go before I'd consider it an "upgrade" from Windows 8. The only thing they are boasting about it so far is the new Start menu. We'll see how it goes from here, but so far I think it's aight.

Brian D.

• Newbie Poster
  • Former IT Manager, Class of 2010
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:44:36 PM »

I've installed it on a VM, and have been looking for new features.

One thing that stood out is how light-weight it is. Fresh install uses <700MB of RAM.

There is an integrated password manager as well, for both network and internet applications.

It seems like they're trying to bypass VPNs as well with the new "Work Folders" feature. (Not sure how many companies will go for it...)

"Storage Spaces" is also new from what I can tell. OS-side RAID controller? (Claims to support mirroring of data as of now.)

Last but not least, the UI :). I was getting used to 8.1, but I see it as an upgrade moving back to the standard.